Jeep (August 1945 – September 1946):
On 27 June 1940 the US Army published an invitation to bid for a lightweight military vehicle, which, among other things, was supposed to feature a four-wheel drive, three seats and a load capacity of 600 pounds (272 kg); the invitation was sent to 135 companies.
70 vehicles had to be delivered within 75 days and one prototype had to be ready within 49 days. At first two companies sent in their proposals - American Bantam and Willy's-Overland-Motors. Bantam managed to meet the 49-day deadline for the prototype. The vehicle was designed by the senior engineer Karl K. Probst and his team within five days.
After an extension of the deadline, the automobiles from Willy's-Overland and Ford were also submitted.
The army had purchased 1,500 vehicles from each company and subjected them to severe endurance tests. Willy's-Overland won, largely owing to its more powerful engine, the so-called "Go Devil".
As the army did not believe that Willy’’s - Overland could manufacture the high production quantities required, Ford also received an order for the manufacturing of the Jeep.
Bantam was excluded from the tender because of insufficient production capacities; only 2,642 Jeeps had been produced by Bantam.
Between 1940 and 1945 Willy’s and Ford manufactured around 640,000 Jeeps, basically constructed in the same way. The last military-version Jeep was produced by Willy's-Overland on August 20 1945 in Toledo (Ohio).
After having gone through a changeful history, the brand name "Jeep" has been owned by Chrysler Group LLC since 1987.
Motor: 4 cylinders in line, water-cooled, (flat-head - with side valves) Go Devil
Cubic capacity: 2.199 ccm
Engine Power: 60 hp
Transmission: Three forward gears, one reverse gear, step-down gear, rear wheel drive (four wheel drive can be switched on)
Maximum speed: approx. 100 km/h
Grade ability: 60%
Front angle of slope: 45°
Rear angle of slope: 35°
|Click on the image!|
Dodge WC 56/57 Command Car (September 1946 – Beginning of the 50‘s):
The Dodge WC series goes back to the late 1930, when the US Army began to convert their fleet to all-terrain military vehicles as they were preparing for possible armed conflicts. At that time Dodge was one of only a few car manufacturers able to build all-wheel-drive vehicles at competitive prices. And they were the very first to build cars which allowed the driver to switch on the front-wheel drive from his cabin.
At that time Dodge was working on the development of the VC series based on the Army's tender specifications, which comprised a varied range of vehicles, including the „Weapons Carrier" which was able to transport an 8-man combat group plus weapons and ammunition.
The company built a new factory in Detroit, Michigan, USA, where only military Dodge vehicles of this and later generations were built.
In 1941 Dodge also began to manufacture the newly developed WC series vehicles which were larger and heavier than their predecessors and of which three basic model were offered: WC 51/52 Weapons Carrier; WC 54 Ambulance; WC 56/57 Command and Reconnaissance Car. The WC 52 and 57 models were also equipped with a winch which was installed between the front bumper and radiator grille.
Production of the WC 56/57 models started in 1942; in the beginning they were used as command and reconnaissance vehicles for high-ranking officers. When the losses among officers increased in connection with these vehicles, its use was restricted to reconnaissance and communication (WC 58), while higher-ranking military officers used the „Commander“ mainly for parades. It had two seat benches arranged one behind the other, the shortest wheelbase of the WC series and was thus very manoeuvrable in terrain.
The „International Patrol“ in Vienna used the Dodge models WC 56 and 57, when Willy's Overlands and Ford Jeeps were found to be too small for four crew members.
Dodge also developed and manufactured other models of the WC series for other fields of application, including the three-axle all-wheel-drive „Weapons Carrier“ (WC 62/63). Until 1945 approx. 255.000 vehicles of all types were manufactured in the Detroit factory of Dodge Corporation.
Engine: 6 cylinders in line, water-cooled, (flat-head - with side valves)
Cubic capacity: 3.780 ccm
Engine power: 90 hp
Transmission: four forward gears, one reverse gear, rear wheel drive (four wheel drive can be switched on)
Maximum speed: 80 - 90 km/h
Gradeability: max. 60%
Front angle of slope: 54° (WC 56)
Rear angle of slope: 31°
Elektrics: 12 V
|Click on the image!|
Chevrolet 51 Sedan (– 1955):
This automobile is not available to us. Please contact us if you have concrete details about the sale of such a vehicle!